Matt Damon in The Martian

Movie Review of The Martian

Jack Batten, Staff Writer

Matt Daman starred in the the martian

The Martian started out as a book by Andy Weir and became a movie in which Matt Daman starred as Mark Watney.

The realization of knowing that you are in a far-away, unknown place and acknowledging that your life is in jeopardy with no help is a terrifying feeling.

Actor Matt Damon perfectly portrays this in the new science-fiction movie, The Martian. Damon plays the role of an astronaut, Mark Watney, who travels to Mars with five other astronauts hoping to become the first to explore and experiment on the unknown planet.

However, a deadly windstorm hits, and the five astronauts have no choice but to leave Watney, who is trapped under debris.

Through a video signal, NASA keeps in contact with Watney, and they release to the public that he is still alive. When his crew gets word of this, they are stunned and anxious to attempt to save him and bring him back home.

The story mainly focuses on the power of humankind and the loyalty of a NASA team who sacrifices and saves their crew member.

Although the topic of the movie is far fetched, Damon does an excellent job of adding both realization and comedy to the film. Additionally, director Ridley Scott does an amazing job constructing the 3D cinematography of the mountains in Mars.

The movie also displays a great depiction of how significant it is to have a human companion. Damon fights a battle with insanity among other demons and demonstrates how much knowledge a human brain can hold.

Veering away pleasantly from the typical action-adventure formula, “The Martian” delivers a superb interpretation of the meaning of life on earth and does not take a cliché route of saying that everything in life goes your way. This movie suggests that some things are worth fighting for, even if that means fighting a planet.

• Matt Damon in The Martian

Spiritual Life

Ecuador Trip Brings Fresh Faces

• Matt Damon in The Martian

GACs Fine Arts

Marching Band Goes Hollywood

• Matt Damon in The Martian

Sports

2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

• Matt Damon in The Martian

Campus Life

Donating Love with Rolls

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Fannin County

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Lovett Football Recap

• Campus Life

With Davis Mills out, Johnathan Rose fills in as the Spartans Quarterback

• Campus Life

Married GAC Teachers

• Matt Damon in The Martian

Campus Life

GAC vs. Valor Christian

• Matt Damon in The Martian

Sports

Student-Athletes Endeavor to Do Sports and Academic Work

Matt Damon in The Martian