GAC vs. Valor Christian

Bo Davies, Content Editor

gacfootball

On Thursday, September 8 the Greater Atlanta Christian Spartans traveled from their home in Norcross, Ga., to Denver, Colorado to take on the Valor Christian Eagles the next day.

The Spartans all met in their locker room on Thursday morning to pack their bags and get ready to leave for the Atlanta Airport. The team packed their personalized bags full with their pads, cleats, helmets, and practice gear. The coaches created a checklist to prevent any necessities being left in Georgia.

The team then took coach buses to Hartsfield Jackson International Airport to take their charted plane all the way to the thin Denver air. At the airport the player’s families met their children who were anxiously for their game the next game. Many players loved their the flight except for a few. Senior lineman Cam Osley didn’t have as good of a flight as most had. “I was nervous, but I had to be strong for my team because they need me. I had to go to war for my brothers.”

Once the players arrived in Denver, they enjoyed the Denver Airport, which is filled with various conspiracy theories. After the players got their equipment bags, they traveled to Valor Christian to eat dinner with the opponent. Tonight they were friends, but the next day they were going to go to war against each other.

The next day, the Spartans traveled to Red Rocks Amphitheater to eat lunch and get in the right mindset. After their fun excursion, the Spartans headed back to their hotel to rest up and make their final preparations for the game. Some napped, some listened to music, some received treatment for minor injuries, but all players were anxious for the game.

Finally the time had come. The boys strapped up their helmets and pads and went out to crack some skulls and fight for 48 minutes. ESPN started their broadcast and the game was ready to start. Although it was September, it was in the 40 degrees. That was a big change for the boys as they were used to hot Friday nights. The altitude also played an important factor in the game. The Spartan boys weren’t fully acclimated to the thin Denver air, but were in great shape so the altitude didn’t affect the boys very much.

The Spartans started the game of strong as Kyler McMichael started the Spartans off by scoring an early touchdown. Senior Safety, Reid Smith, then picked-off a Dylan Mccaffery throw and returned it for 23 yards to give the Spartans great field position. Davis Mills then threw a touchdown to Harrison Sloan for another quick touchdown for the Spartans.

Although the Spartans started off fast, Valor Christian chipped away at the Spartans lead to be ahead going into halftime. A sloppy second half for the Spartans led to a big hole that they had to dig themselves out of. As the clock was winding down, the Spartans had one final drive to march down the field and score to tie the game. The Spartans were not able to get the job done, but were able to hang their head high as they put up a good fight against one of the top football teams in the country.

• GAC vs. Valor Christian

Spiritual Life

Ecuador Trip Brings Fresh Faces

• GAC vs. Valor Christian

GACs Fine Arts

Marching Band Goes Hollywood

• GAC vs. Valor Christian

Sports

2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

• GAC vs. Valor Christian

Campus Life

Donating Love with Rolls

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Fannin County

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Lovett Football Recap

• Campus Life

With Davis Mills out, Johnathan Rose fills in as the Spartans Quarterback

• Campus Life

Married GAC Teachers

• GAC vs. Valor Christian

Sports

Student-Athletes Endeavor to Do Sports and Academic Work

• GAC vs. Valor Christian

Campus Life

New PSAT Has Students On Edge

GAC vs. Valor Christian