Global Leadership Seminar Seeks To Develop Empathy In Students

GLS brings sophomores together to learn about global crises.

Trey Kenworthy, Sports Editor

GAC’s sophomore students participated in the Global Leadership Seminar on campus during the first week back from Christmas break.

The sophomores were divided into eight different groups to focus on different topics that consisted of homelessness, the refugee crisis, human trafficking, global health, foster care, women’s equality, racial equality and immigration.

In these groups, the students were required to build an exhibit to spread awareness for their specific topic using a classroom. However, the students did not just research their topic online, they had multiple speakers talk to specific groups about their topics as well as the entire class. For example, Maya Dillard Smith, a Civil Rights Lawyer came to talk to the entire class over Civil Rights. Other speakers were Camille Smith from the CDC who had just arrived from Brazil working with Zika virus patients and Chris Moore Skyped in from Greece to speak about the Muslim refugees he worked with.

Derek Wilson, head of the Global Leadership Seminar said, “Our goal for the Seminar is to create empathy and to inform people.” Derek Wilson and his team did just that. The students who participated in the seminar took a survey asking how much more empathetic and informed they are on a score from 1 to 5. “Our average score for empathy was a 4.2 out of 5 and a 4.6 out of 5 for informed,” Wilson said.

Wilson’s response to what he had learned from the seminar was this, “It’s not that we don’t care about social issues, its that we don’t know about them. And when we learn to know about them we become more empathetic”. It is clear that not only students were benefitting from these exhibits, but also parents and teachers.