Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Eunice Park, Web Editor

The GACS drama department presents Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Norcross, Ga. — On Monday, the GACS drama department presented the opening of Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Fine Arts Cliff Jones Theatre.

The musical demonstrated Joseph’s story by beginning from the time of when Joseph dreamed of the eleven stars and sheaves of grain bowing down at him. Additionally, the entire cast explained the story from multiple points of view through melodic songs.

“My favorite part of the play was when Joseph’s brothers lied to their father that Joseph was killed by a wild animal, and they all began singing a western song with a country accent. Through this song, I learned more about the brothers and their feelings,” said Nataly Beacham.

Both students and faculty members arrived at the theatre on Monday night feeling excited and anticipated astounding performances. Mrs. Megan Wilson, Mr. Derek Wilson, and Mr. Robert Lindsay came, and the students delightfully surprised the teachers with their stunning talents.

Several people such as Desirae Banks, Bethany Wood, Steven Lamb, Cole Winkler, and Noah Buchanan performed solos to clearly show their emotions to the audience.

Furthermore, the musical staged a gamut of songs such as beats and rhythms from the 1960s, 1980s, country, and slow music. Along with the songs, each singer dressed up in appropriate clothing. For example, for the country songs, performers wore western cowboy boots, American cowboy hats, and red bandanas, and the 1960s songs included people with clothing resembling hippies.

50 people were part of the cast, which included Pharaoh’s wives, 11 brothers, the brothers’ first wives, two narrators, and an ensemble. High school students who take drama class were required to be a part of the play and had auditions for the director to assign a proper role.

Senyal Das said, “We had two rehearsals with all of the characters together before the opening night of the play from 3:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. However, prior practices also took place in each individual drama class, so we were able to practice with a smaller group of people.”

The story of the play followed the United Kingdom version instead of the United States version, so there were minor scenes that were slightly different from the story that the audience knew. Nonetheless, Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat provided an accurate depiction of the story from Genesis.

However, the play also differed from both versions of Joseph’s story because it changed some of the serious emotions in the Bible into comical moments by presenting lyrics that were playful. For example, when Joseph interpreted the baker and cupbearer’s dream, Joseph told the bad news to the cupbearer in a humorous way.

GACS held the performance on Monday at 7:30 p.m., and will show the play on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Prices of the tickets vary depending on whether or not the buyer is a GACS student, and people can buy tickets either online at the GACS website under the drama page, or they can purchase the tickets at the door of the theatre on the performance day.

For audience members who do not attend GACS, the tickets cost $8 with an additional fee of $1.14 for the refreshments and snacks that are available during the ten-minute intermission. Students have an automatic discount, so the admission fee is $5 with a fee of $1.05.

Senyal Das said, “I would participate in another GACS play because of the fun experience I had during the Joseph play. I enjoyed hanging out with friends and being able to perform together. I am excited for the next play, Mary Poppins.”

• Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Spiritual Life

Ecuador Trip Brings Fresh Faces

GACs Fine Arts

Marching Band Goes Hollywood

Sports

2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

Campus Life

Donating Love with Rolls

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Fannin County

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Lovett Football Recap

• Campus Life

With Davis Mills out, Johnathan Rose fills in as the Spartans Quarterback

• Campus Life

Married GAC Teachers

Campus Life

GAC vs. Valor Christian

Sports

Student-Athletes Endeavor to Do Sports and Academic Work