My Fair Lady Performance Earns Raves, Accolades

Parker Jennings earns second consecutive Shuler nomination

Back to Article
Back to Article

Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin

Michael Perez, Staff Writer

The GACS senior high drama put out yet another great show for the students and parents to come and see in “My Fair Lady” in February. GAC’s drama department already had a great reputation — winning awards frequently in the past, including with this year’s one-act play, “Antigone.” That reputation increased this year, when senior Parker Jennings earned another nomination for best lead actress in the state’s prestigious Shuler Awards, after winning in the category for last year’s performance in “42nd Street.” In addition, the cast was nominated for the Showstopper award for its “Get Me to the Church on Time.”

Jennings and John Michael Vestal were cast as the two leading roles in the play, so expectations were high for “My Fair Lady.”

The show is about a girl who couldn’t speak properly, but she wanted more in life than what she currently had. She goes through months of speech training from a man who wasn’t very patient with her. The relationship grew to more than just a love-hate relationship and they began to have feelings for each other. The man didn’t know how to love, so he almost lost her. In the end, the story turned out how everyone hoped, with the two characters getting together.

The play was very successful, with big turnouts at all five of their shows. The cast exceeded expectations and put on a phenomenal show. You couldn’t have asked for anymore from the students. Parker Jennings was fantastic in her lead role, and John Michael played his part perfectly as a character who seemed bad, but turned out to be good. Amanda Briskin was surprised just how much she loved the musical. “Drama isn’t really my favorite thing to watch, but the play was really good, especially John Michael,” Briskin said.

A lot of hard work had to be put in for the play to turn out successful. Frequently, the drama department would hold long practices over the weekend leading up to the show. Scott Thomas one of the backstage crew members talked about how hard it was to be there, but said it was all worth it “Yea practices got really annoying. We would be there for eight hours over the weekend, but we needed it and it turned out great so no complaints here”. The next show for the drama department is “Singing in The Rain”, which is sure to be just as great as the last one and I looked forward to being able to watch that one as well.

• My Fair Lady Performance Earns Raves, Accolades

Campus Life

Greece Mission Trip A Great Service Opportunity

Sports

Swim And Dive Finish Successful Season

Sports

Spartan Baseball 2018 Preview

Features

Spartans’ Hunter McIntosh Celebrates 1,000-Point Milestone

Sports

GAC Alum Enjoys Continued Golf Success

Spiritual Life

Ecuador Trip Brings Fresh Faces

GACs Fine Arts

Marching Band Goes Hollywood

Campus Life

Donating Love with Rolls

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Lovett Football Recap

• Campus Life

With Davis Mills out, Johnathan Rose fills in as the Spartans Quarterback