2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

2017 Varsity Baseball Team

Glenn Martin

2017 Varsity Baseball Team

Bo Davies, Online Editor

Glenn Martin
2017 Varsity Baseball Team

As the 2017 baseball season comes around, the Greater Atlanta Christian School Spartans will attempt to avenge their heartbreaking loss in last year’s final four.  Last year, the Lovett Lions in an intense game three series tragically ended the Spartans season.  This loss has fueled the Spartans as they have trained through the summer and fall.

The Spartans have been working out since last June with a new attitude and energy unlike the program has ever seen before.  The Spartans have also been working towards a brotherhood that will allow the boys to play for each other and not just themselves.  The seniors on this years team hope that this brotherhood and work ethic will continue to thrive within the years to come.

Early this year, the Spartans team traveled to Cleveland, Georgia for a weekend long retreat to play various games and bond together.  Senior, Monte Greene said, “I loved the retreat because we were able to bond together and compete outside of the diamond for a weekend,” about the retreat.  Head Coach, Robbie Wilson, hopes that this retreat will bring the boys together and that they will buy into the brotherhood.

This year’s baseball team includes many returning starters and new additions, but will also miss the contributions that last year’s seniors brought to the team.  Returning to this years team are starters, Senior catcher Jp McGuire, Senior outfielders Johns Hamilton as well as Erik Smith, Senior infielder Nathan Nakada, Junior first baseman Campbell Pryor, and Sophomore infielder Shane Lussier.   Senior pitcher, Owen Van Beber, is also returning for the Spartans, as he was virtually unhittable during the 2016 campaign.

New to this year’s team is Junior, Carson Taylor.  Taylor, a switch-hitting catcher and corner infielder moved to GAC from Texas.  Taylor is more than excited about his new team and the new environment that he gets to play the game he loves in.  “It’s definitely different than Texas, but I’m excited for the challenge and to be able to contribute to this team, said Taylor.”  Also new to the Spartans is Freshman outfielder, Zach Mixon. Mixon is looking to contribute to the Spartans with his quick feet on the base paths, great reads in the outfield, and consistent bat.

Although the Spartans lost ace pitchers, Andrew Schultz and Gabe Davenport, as well as the powerful bats of Zach Savage and Carter Lewis, this years team is full of talent.

If the Spartans offense is able to catch fire, and new pitchers step up, this year’s team is one to keep and eye on.

• 2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

Spiritual Life

Ecuador Trip Brings Fresh Faces

• 2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

GACs Fine Arts

Marching Band Goes Hollywood

• 2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

Campus Life

Donating Love with Rolls

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Fannin County

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Lovett Football Recap

• Campus Life

With Davis Mills out, Johnathan Rose fills in as the Spartans Quarterback

• Campus Life

Married GAC Teachers

• 2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

Campus Life

GAC vs. Valor Christian

• 2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

Sports

Student-Athletes Endeavor to Do Sports and Academic Work

• 2017 Varsity Baseball Preview

Campus Life

New PSAT Has Students On Edge

2017 Varsity Baseball Preview