GAC Alum Enjoys Continued Golf Success

Bruce Smith, Staff Writer

Benjamin Shipp is a current Sophomore at North Carolina State University. He is known at NC State and at GAC as being a “golf prodigy.” Ever since Ben was a young kid you could tell that his golf game was something special. It started when he was 9 years old winning the US Kids World Championship to most recently placing 5th in the last collegiate tournament he participated in. Ben graduated from GAC two years ago and he spent 7 years of his life at GAC on the middle and high school golf team. In his four years of high school he marked one 3 place finish, two 2nd place finishes, and his senior year he led GAC to bring home their first ever golf state championship. His senior year he managed to have a 69.3 scoring average, which is incredible.

Outside of high school golf Ben also accomplished some amazing tasks. When he graduated he was the #1 junior golfer in the class of 2016 and he was the #7 player in the junior golf world rankings. He had an overall Win-Loss-Tie record of 467-120-23. His final junior tournament of his life he played in the biggest junior golf tournament in the world and placed 7th out of 52.

In college golf Ben has not slowed down at all, he placed 5th in his most recent tournament shooting, 75 and 73 in very tough conditions. His freshman year he was named to the PING All-Region Team. This was due to his strong play of 6 top 20 finishes and 4 top 10’s. He also carded a 67 on four different occasions his freshman year. Twenty nine of his 32 rounds were counted towards the team’s score in tournament play. Ben had a very strong start to his sophomore year with a 3rd place finish, a 2nd place finish, and to cap of the fall play he won his first collegiate golf tournament. He lead the wolf pack shooting 68-69-69 to win by two shots.

Not only is Ben an amazing golfer, he is also an amazing person. What most people do not know about him is that he was born with Tourette’s syndrome. However, he does not let this slow him down and I believe that it gives him an edge because he is forced to be so focused over every shot and this gives him an advantage most people do not have. Ben is poised to do great things in his career.

• GAC Alum Enjoys Continued Golf Success

Features

Spartans’ Hunter McIntosh Celebrates 1,000-Point Milestone

Spiritual Life

Ecuador Trip Brings Fresh Faces

GACs Fine Arts

Marching Band Goes Hollywood

Campus Life

Donating Love with Rolls

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Lovett Football Recap

• Campus Life

With Davis Mills out, Johnathan Rose fills in as the Spartans Quarterback

• Campus Life

Married GAC Teachers

Campus Life

GAC vs. Valor Christian

Sports

Student-Athletes Endeavor to Do Sports and Academic Work

Campus Life

New PSAT Has Students On Edge

GAC Alum Enjoys Continued Golf Success