Spartans’ Hunter McIntosh Celebrates 1,000-Point Milestone

Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin

Presley Field, Staff Writer

Hunter McIntosh, Greater Atlanta Christian School’s 6-2 guard, reached the 1,000-career point mark on January 2 in Dahlonega against region opponent, Lumpkin County.

Hunter started playing basketball at the age of 7 and realized how much he loved the “swish sound.” He continued to get a lot better and his hard work showed as he got the nod from Coach David Eaton to start on varsity as a freshman.

Hunter chalked up his major milestone to his desire to continuously improve. “My success in getting to 1k was just my continued effort to get better,” Hunter said. “You can’t 1k in one game so it’s just focusing on being great each game and the totals will eventually add up.”

Coming into high school, Hunter had goals and expectations for himself.  For him, those goals didn’t overtake the accomplishments and goals for the team. So was achieving 1,000 points was one of his goals in high school? “Yes, but it wasn’t really that much of a goal of mine until I got close to reaching it,” Hunter said. “I try to focus more on the team’s accomplishments rather than my own.”

Hunter really does value his team rather than his personal goals and accomplishments, which is a great trait to have as a young, standout athlete in high school. That mindset will not only make him better, but his teammates as well. Junior guard, Ben Sheppard praised Hunter for his leadership. “What makes Hunter a great teammate is that he knows when to joke around and when it’s time to get serious,” Sheppard said. “He’s a really great vocal leader and it really helps our team.”

Being successful at something takes great effort and dedication. Hunter undoubtedly shows great effort on the court every time he steps in for a practice or game, as most great athletes do. Dedication is the difference maker in reaching an achievement like 1,000 points. From 7 years old to 10 years later at seventeen, what kept him going?

“What I love most about basketball, is that it’s a safe haven for me so whenever I have a lot on my mind or things aren’t going right I can always pick up a basketball and be at peace,” Hunter said.

Hunter definitely is eager to win a championship, though. Last season didn’t end the way the Spartans wanted it to, losing in the first round of the state playoffs to the Lovett Lions. His focus is sharp and hasn’t changed since getting to the 1,000-point mark.

“I definitely want to win a region and state championship this year and to continue to add to the great tradition of winning here,” Hunter said. “We expect to win the region championship.”

Hunter and the Spartans (21-3) have ended the regular season and are the favorites to win the region championship after going 12-1 in region games. With Hunter’s eagerness to win and the achievement of 1,000 points as a junior, pick the Spartans to come home with the region trophy.

• Spartans’ Hunter McIntosh Celebrates 1,000-Point Milestone

Sports

GAC Alum Enjoys Continued Golf Success

Spiritual Life

Ecuador Trip Brings Fresh Faces

GACs Fine Arts

Marching Band Goes Hollywood

Campus Life

Donating Love with Rolls

• Campus Life

GAC vs. Lovett Football Recap

• Campus Life

With Davis Mills out, Johnathan Rose fills in as the Spartans Quarterback

• Campus Life

Married GAC Teachers

Campus Life

GAC vs. Valor Christian

Sports

Student-Athletes Endeavor to Do Sports and Academic Work

Campus Life

New PSAT Has Students On Edge